Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Where's my country, dude?

I like the TV show Better Off Ted. It's one of the funnier things on these days. It makes a variety of cruel and wildly inaccurate jokes about workplaces, harassment policies, scientific research, HIPAA, and human relations. However, it is usually very apparent that these are inaccurate stereotypes for humorous purposes.

I was watching a recent episode online. ABC has done something interesting with optional commentary for the episodes; actors, writers, or other people of interest have written comments that appear alongside the video, which are usually moderately entertaining. For commentary on episode 202, "The Lawyer, The Lemur, and the Little Listener", a pretty entertaining commentary was provided by writer Tim Doyle.
(episode with Tim's commentary)
Near the end of the episode (18:47), the character Linda is facetiously replying to her crazy boss, who is complaining about something, and says mock seriously, "...they make it crazy hard to kill anyone here. I want my country back. Anyway..." A reasonably funny line, hyperbolically making fun of an overused trite line. However... In Tim's commentary at that point, he says, "My favorite joke in the episode (not really a joke, just a reference to "tea party" folks who feel their America slipping away)."

Now, I've never even heard of Tim Doyle before, and far be it from me to determine the entirety of his political views from that comment, and it's hard to read tone into written words. But. If that's what he has in mind, I'm a tad annoyed. "I want my country back" is a sentiment used by an awful lot of different groups. I sure saw plenty of "Dude, where's my country" and "OK, joke's over, bring back the constitution" bumper stickers over the last few years, and I'm pretty sure those people weren't tea partiers. At least Tim didn't put "their America" in quotes as well.

Everyone who's lived long enough feels their America slipping away, there are always changes, and if there's one thing almost all living things have in common, it's that they hate change. Saying that the tea party crowd is the only group with that sentiment isn't accurate; the tea party crowd is merely the latest, and currently loudest. I guess I can't blame Tim Doyle from saying that, it's the best example right now, but it still bugs me the way the label gets slapped.

One more thing while I'm here - calling tax protesters teabaggers. Free speech and all, go ahead. But as the woman whose name I can't remember just demonstrated on CNN, it's tacky and makes you look like a person anonymously screaming on the internet with poor spelling, grammar, and punctuation. But, it's perfectly your right, when a group of people self identifies themselves with a tag, to call them something insulting instead. Isn't that what liberals believe in? I know feminists, homosexuals, and people of all races and religions accept that as their due for merely existing and trying to be part of something larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment